Tuesday, July 23, 2013

p & p

I'm rereading Passion & Purity, by Elisabeth Elliot, this summer. I haven't got much to do, it seems, these last few weeks while in my hometown. So I decided to devour some good books while I have the time. P & P is definitely a great read, and I highly recommend it. EVEN if you're a guy. ;)
This is what the back cover says, if any of you are interested in picking it up:

In Passion & Purity, Elisabeth Elliot emphasizes the need to commit daily to Christ all matters of the heart and to wait upon Him. She teaches this often painful, yet rewarding discipline by candidly tracing her love story with Jim Elliot as evidence that she has been there.
Through letters, dairy entries, and memories, she shares the temptations, difficulties, victories, and sacrifices of two young people whose commitment to Christ took priority over their love for each other. These revealing personal glimpses, combined with relevant biblical teaching, will remind you that only by putting your human passion and desire through His fire can God purify your love. 

It's a super awesome read and I'm enjoying it as if it were the first time I've ever picked it up. I love that Elisabeth is willing to share all of what went on. 
Being 20 years old (almost 21) and single was so difficult, at times. Especially being from Bible College, where everyone gets married and has a "ring by spring." It definitely is humbling, but I'm grateful to say that the Lord has opened my eyes to the gift of being single. Praise Him. I can constantly bash on satan when I feel lonely because, truth is, I'm NOT lonely. The Holy Spirit dwells inside me. That is all I need to have to be joyful.
And because I'm single, I have 100% focus on serving Him. And I love it this way.
And if He brings someone else along side me, who is supposed to be there by the Holy Spirit's discernment, then I know for a fact that it's because of His timing.

I've been reading chapters 1-5 today and as I closed in on chapter 5, something really stuck out to me. 

One morning I was reading the story of Jesus' feeding of the five thousand. The disciples could find only five loaves of bread and two fishes. "Let Me have them," said Jesus. He asked for all. He took them, said the blessing, and broke them before He gave them out. I remembered what a chapel speaker, Ruth Stull of Peru, had said: "If my life is broken when given to Jesus, it is because pieces will feed a multitude, while a loaf will satisfy only a little lad."

Man, Jesus asks for all.
He gives all.
He asks for all. 
Let that happen and you WILL BE BLESSED. Dad knows what He's doing. :)

I'll try to remember to continue to post more things about this book. But till then, goodnight. <3

Please leave me comments if you read this!!! Or contact me in any form; I want to know what your thoughts and opinions are on this. Let's get a conversation going. :) 
Or even if you need prayer, I'll pray for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment